Alexis Russell Piquero (born May 6, 1970) is a Cuban-American criminologist and the Ashbel Smith Professor of Criminology at the University of Texas at Dallas (UT-Dallas), where he is also the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in the School of Economic, Political, and Policy Sciences. He has been ranked as the #1 criminologist in the world since 1996 by the number of peer-reviewed papers in criminology journals. In 2015, then-United States Attorney General Eric Holder appointed him to the Office of Justice Programs Science Advisory Board.
|Born||May 6, 1970|
|Education||University of Maryland, College Park (B.A., M.A., Ph.D.)|
|Spouse(s)||Nicole Leeper Piquero|
|Awards||American Society of Criminology's Young Scholar and E-Mail Mentor of the Year Awards|
|Institutions||University of Texas at Dallas|
|Thesis||An application of Stafford and Warr's reconceptualization of deterrence to drinking and driving (1996)|
|Doctoral advisor||Raymond Paternoster|
|Doctoral students||Wesley Jennings|
Education and career
Piquero received his B.A. in 1992, his M.A. in 1994, and his Ph.D. in 1996. All three of his degrees were in criminology and criminal justice, and he received all of them from the University of Maryland, College Park. After teaching at Florida State University, the University of Maryland, the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and other institutions, he joined the faculty of UT-Dallas in 2011.
The subjects Piquero has researched include the link between malnutrition and violence. He has also co-authored a study showing that the arrest rate among National Football League players is lower than that for the American male population aged 20 to 39. He has collaborated on several books, including the Handbook of Quantitative Criminology (edited by David Weisburd).
Honors and awards
Piquero has received the American Society of Criminology's Young Scholar and E-Mail Mentor of the Year Awards. He has also been a fellow of the American Society of Criminology and the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences since 2011. In 2018, he was inducted as a fellow into the UT System Academy of Distinguished Teachers.
- ^ "Alexis Russell Piquero" . Library of Congress. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ a b c d "Alex R. Piquero" . University of Texas at Dallas. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ a b Cepeda, Esther (24 February 2016). "What I've Learned: Our Talk with Top-Ranked Criminologist Alex Piquero" . NBC News. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "Alex R. Piquero CV" (PDF). Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "Dr. Alex R. Piquero" . University of Texas at Dallas. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ Shah, Khushbu (27 September 2016). "Want to reduce crime in America? Try giving kids better food" . Mic. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "Arrest rate in NFL lower than for general US population, 'surprising' study finds" . The Guardian. 25 August 2015.
- ^ Martin, Jill (26 August 2015). "Study: NFL arrest rate lower than for all males ages 20-39" . CNN.
- ^ "Criminologist Named to UT System Academy of Distinguished Teachers" . University of Texas at Dallas. 2018-03-29. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- ^ "Ceremonies Pay Tribute to University Faculty and Benefactors" . News Center. University of Texas at Dallas. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- ^ "University Celebrates Achievements of Recently Published Profs" . News Center. University of Texas at Dallas. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
Information as of: 24.08.2021 06:51:59 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.