Bayfield High School, Dunedin
Bayfield High School is a co-educational high school in Dunedin, New Zealand. It was established in 1961 and is located on the corner of Musselburgh Rise and Shore Street, adjacent to the Otago Harbour. The school currently has approximately 600 students.
|Bayfield High School|
Bayfield High School website, Fair use
2 Shore Street
|Motto||Latin: Quaerere Verum|
(Seek the Truth)
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||382|
|School roll||568 (March 2021)|
There are five houses with approximately 160 students in each house. The houses are Anderson, Begg, Herron, Ross and Somerville. All houses except Herron are named after the founding fathers of the district; Herron is named after the first principal Jack Herron. Each house has four tutor groups with a tutor teacher and associate teacher. Each house has a dean that looks after the house.
The school is well known throughout the local community for having a strong music department. Students perform regularly in the wider community and in 2006 the school Orchestra, Jazz Band and Madrigal Choir flew to Sydney, Australia to play in the Sydney Opera House with a company called United World Concert Tours. The Colorado Springs Youth Symphony and the Honolulu Community Concert Band, from Hawaii, also performed. Another tour to Melbourne, Australia took place in June 2010 for 30 students and their supporters.
Bayfield High School has an ESOL department for overseas fee paying students. In 2010 there were 40 overseas students enrolled from Japan, China, Brazil, Germany, Slovakia, Switzerland, Taiwan, France and Korea. The overseas students have specialist English Language classes together with regular classes. They also enjoy trips away from school including visits to Fiordland, the Queenstown Ski area and Mount Cook.
Bayfield's canteen was featured in the Otago Daily Times on 27 April 2007. The canteen was run by catering students of the school, who aimed to make the canteen food healthier: "We’re trying to bring in healthier food — sushi, wraps, filled rolls, soup and salads. We’ve already started to phase out some of the fatty foods like chips and lollies because we want to be healthy. We want to make our name as the healthiest canteen in Otago."
Notable alumni and staff
- David Bain, acquitted of murder after a retrial in 2009
- David Benson-Pope, former cabinet minister, was a teacher at the school.
- Daniel Borgman, director of The Weight of Elephants
- Len Cook, former National Statistician of the United Kingdom
- Anna Grimaldi, para-athlete, Paralympic gold medallist.
- Danyon Loader, Olympic Gold medallist
- ^ Hudson, Daisy (14 November 2019). "Opportunity too good to miss - new principal" .
- ^ "New Zealand Schools Directory" . New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- ^ "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools" . Ministry of Education. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- ^ Lewis, John (23 August 2008). "Bayfield gets to try its new gym" . Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 23 August 2008.
- ^ Fisher, David (26 February 2006). "New questions for Benson-Pope" . New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 23 August 2008.
- ^ "Daniel Borgman" .
- ^ McMurran, Alistair (28 May 2014). "Grimaldi fast out of the blocks" . Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
Information as of: 16.08.2021 09:49:58 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.