Combined gas and gas
Combined gas turbine and gas turbine (COGAG) is a type of propulsion system for ships using two gas turbines connected to a single propeller shaft. A gearbox and clutches allow either of the turbines to drive the shaft or both of them combined.
Using one or two gas turbines has the advantage of having two different power settings. Since the fuel efficiency of a gas turbine is best near its maximum power level, a small gas turbine running at its full power is more efficient compared to a twice as powerful turbine running at half power, allowing more-economical transit at cruise speeds.
Compared to Combined diesel and gas (CODAG) or Combined diesel or gas (CODOG), COGAG systems have a smaller footprint but a much lower fuel efficiency at cruise speed and for CODAG systems it is also somewhat lower for high speed dashes.
List of COGAG ships
This article does not cite any sources.(May 2007)
- Kolkata-class guided-missile destroyer (Indian Navy)
- INS Vikrant (aircraft-carrier) (Indian Navy)
- Type 22 frigate (Batch 3) (Royal Navy)
- Invincible-class aircraft carrier (Royal Navy)
- Cavour-class aircraft carrier (Italian Navy)
- Asagiri-class destroyer (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force), and subsequent destroyer classes
- Hyūga-class helicopter destroyer (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force), helicopter carrier
- Izumo-class helicopter destroyer (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force), helicopter carrier
- Neustrashimyy-class frigate (Russian Navy)
- Sejong the Great-class destroyer (Republic of Korea Navy)
- Skjold-class corvette (Royal Norwegian Navy)
- Arleigh Burke-class destroyer (United States Navy)
- Ticonderoga-class cruiser (United States Navy)
- Wasp-class amphibious assault ship (United States Navy)
Information as of: 14.08.2021 03:04:41 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.