Dunedin Fringe Festival
The Dunedin Fringe Festival, or Dunedin Fringe, is an 11-day fringe theatre festival held each March in Dunedin, New Zealand. The first Dunedin Fringe was in the year 2000. The festival was cancelled in 2020 due to concerns around Covid-19. A subsequent fundraising campaign raised more than $5000 to support more than 750 artists affected by the cancellation.
The venues are in and around the Octagon, the city centre of Dunedin. Among these are Allen Hall at the University of Otago; The Fortune Theatre; the Athenaeum in the Octagon; Dog With Two Tails, a café and bar in Moray Place; and The Playhouse Theatre.
Dunedin Fringe Arts Trust
The Dunedin Fringe Arts Trust was established in 2004 to support the successful production of the Dunedin Fringe Festival. The trust also supports the delivery of other programmes such as the New Zealand Young Writers Festival and the Amped Music Project.
The current director of the Dunedin Fringe Arts Trust is Gareth McMillan. McMillan has served as director since 2017, when he took over from Josh Thomas who had been in role for the previous three years.
In addition to theatrical performances, the festival hosts dancers and live music. In 2016, artists produced 55 shows. The festival is open-access, which means that anyone who registers may perform.
In 2020 there were cancellations to the programme due to COVID-19. Suitcase Theatre rescheduled and presented a performance of Boobs on Stage about breast cancer previously scheduled for a small space to the large Regent Theatre but with social distancing of the audience to positive reviews.
- Heinz Housel, Teresa (4 March 2014). "Dunedin Fringe to feature first theatre captioning" . Arts Access Aotearoa. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Historic Athenaeum Building Sold" . dunedin.govt.nz. Dunedin City Council. 8 April 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- ^ "About Dunedin Fringe" . Dunedin Fringe. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- ^ Houseman, Molly (21 March 2020). "Campaign for artists goes 'crazy'" . Otago Daily Times Online News. Retrieved 26 January 2021.
- ^ Cameron, Róisín; Jabado, Salwa; Minford, Teddy, eds. (23 August 2016). Fodor's Essential New Zealand. Fodor's Travel. p. 1072. ISBN 978-0-8041-4364-6.
- ^ "Dunedin Fringe Festival 2017 Venue List" (PDF). Dunedin Fringe. 11 August 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- ^ "Tumblr" . Tumblr. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ a b "Dunedin Fringe Arts Trust" . The Big Idea. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ a b McAvinue, Shawn (3 August 2017). "New Fringe director dives in" . Otago Daily Times Online News. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ Benson, Nigel (21 July 2014). "New Fringe director 'thrilled' to gain role" . Otago Daily Times Online News. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ "Dunedin Fringe Reveals First Programme Announcements for 2015" (Press release). Dunedin: Scoop. 19 December 2014. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- ^ McAvinue, Shawn (17 March 2016). "Fringe director thrilled with festival" . Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- ^ MacTavish, Terry (12 September 2020). "DEAR BOOBS on Stage - Courage, humour and insight" . TheatreView. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- ^ Harwood, Brenda (3 September 2020). "The show must go on" . Otago Daily Times Online News. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
Information as of: 24.08.2021 04:35:35 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.