John Barnes (author)
(Redirected from John_Allen_Barnes)
Two of his novels, The Sky So Big and Black and The Duke of Uranium have been reviewed as having content appropriate for a young adult readership, comparing favorably to Robert A. Heinlein's "juvenile" novels. He has contributed to the Internet Evolution website.
He has done work in systems analysis, business statistics, software reliability theory, sentiment analysis, statistical semiotics, and formal specification.
Barnes's hometown is Bowling Green, Ohio. Barnes earned a B.A. degree from Washington University, an M.A. degree from the University of Montana, and a Ph.D. degree in theater from the University of Pittsburgh. He has taught at Western State College. He lives in Colorado. Barnes has been married three times and divorced twice.
Century Next Door series
Thousand Cultures series
The four novels in the Thousand Cultures series include the theme of the effects of globalization, at an interstellar scale, on isolated societies.
- A Million Open Doors (1992)
- Earth Made of Glass (1998)
- The Merchants of Souls (2001)
- The Armies of Memory (2006)
Time Raider series
- Wartide (1992)
- Battle Cry (1992)
- Union Fires (1992)
Timeline Wars series
- Patton's Spaceship (1997)
- Washington's Dirigible (1997)
- Caesar's Bicycle (1997)
- Timeline Wars (1997) (omnibus volume)
- "Upon Their Backs, to Bite 'Em" (2000) (a crossover story included in Drakas!)
Jak Jinnaka series
- Duke of Uranium (2002)
- A Princess of the Aerie (2003)
- In the Hall of the Martian King (2003)
The Last President was originally scheduled for 2012, but was delayed due to disagreements between Barnes and the publisher over the direction the series was taking. The final book in the series was published by Ace in 2014. Barnes is considering re-writing the first two books to make them more consistent with his original conception of the series.
- The Man Who Pulled Down the Sky (1987)
- Sin of Origin (1988)
- Mother of Storms (1994)
- Encounter With Tiber (with Buzz Aldrin (1996)
- One For the Morning Glory (1996)
- Apocalypses and Apostrophes (1998) (a short story collection also published as Apostrophes and Apocalypses)
- Finity (1999)
- The Return, with Buzz Aldrin (2001)
- Gaudeamus (2004) (meta-referential work blending fiction and reality)
- Payback City (2007) (thriller, written in 1997, self-published e-book)
- Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973 (2009) (YA/non-SF, a Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book)
- Losers in Space (2012) (YA/SF)
- Raise the Gipper! (2012) (SF/fantasy/political satire)
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1992) : Orbital Resonance
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1993) : A Million Open Doors
- Hugo Award Best Novel nominee (1995) : Mother of Storms
- Nebula Award Best Novel nominee (1996) : Mother of Storms
- Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book (2010): Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance 1973
- One True, fictional artificial intelligence central to the Century Next Door series.
- ^ Review, The Sky So Big and Black and The Duke of Uranium reviews at Locus
- ^ https://www.cio.com/author/John-Barnes/
- ^ "Amazon.com: John Barnes: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle" . amazon.com.
- ^ "Blogger: User Profile: John Barnes" . blogger.com.
- ^ "Amazon.com Customer Discussions > John Barnes forum Has Daybreak 3 - "The Last President" been cancelled???" .
- ^ "Bibliography: Apocalypses and Apostrophes" . Internet Speculative Fiction Database.
- ^ * Finity review, x, y, z, t: dimensions of science fiction, Damien Broderick, 2004, p. 152
- ^ Barnes, John (2014). Gaudeamus. New York: Tor. ISBN 9780765311986.
- ^ John Barnes (20 April 2012). "Approachably Reclusive" . thatjohnbarnes.blogspot.com.
- ^ Tilton, Lois (December 7, 2010). "Lois Tilton reviews Short Fiction, early December" . Locus. Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- ^ Seel, Nigel (April 11, 2011). "Book Review: Engineering Infinity (ed) Jonathan Strahan" . ScienceFiction.com. Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- ^ Waters, Robert E. (March 8, 2011). "Engineering Infinity, edited by Jonathan Strahan" . Tangent. Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- ^ "The Birds and the Bees and the Gasoline Trees" . 28 April 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: John Barnes|
Information as of: 15.08.2021 05:51:07 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.