Walloon Brabant (//, US also / /,; French: Brabant wallon [bʁabɑ̃ walɔ̃]; Dutch: Waals-Brabant [ˌʋaːlz ˈbraːbɑnt] (listen); Walloon: Roman Payis) is a province of Wallonia and Belgium. It borders on (clockwise from the North) the province of Flemish Brabant (Flemish Region) and the provinces of Liège, Namur and Hainaut (Wallonia). Its capital and largest city is Wavre.
(and largest city)
|• Governor||Gilles Mahieu|
|• Total||1,097 km2 (424 sq mi)|
(1 January 2019)
|• Density||370/km2 (950/sq mi)|
very high · 4th
The provincial population was recorded at 403,599 as of January 2019, giving a population density of 368/km2 (950/sq mi).
The terms Walloon and Brabant are older, and were sometimes used in combination before the coming into existence of the political entity.
Louis de Haynin wrote in 1868, "Belgium is a country between France, Germany and the North Sea. This country is divided in two regions, Flanders and Wallonia. Wallonia is divided in Walloon Brabant, Hainaut, Namur, Liège and Luxembourg.
The Battle of Waterloo took place in this province in June 1815.
Walloon Brabant was created in 1995 when the former Province of Brabant was split into three parts: two new provinces, Walloon Brabant and Flemish Brabant; and the Brussels Capital Region, which no longer belongs to any province. The split was made to accommodate the federalisation of Belgium in three regions (Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels).
- Beauvechain (Bevekom)
- Braine-l'Alleud (Eigenbrakel)
- Braine-le-Château (Kasteelbrakel)
- Genappe (Genepiën)
- Grez-Doiceau (Graven)
- Hélécine (Heilissem / Heylissem)
- Ittre (Itter)
- Jodoigne (Geldenaken)
- La Hulpe (Terhulpen)
- Nivelles (Nijvel)
- Perwez (Perwijs)
- Tubize (Tubeke)
- Wavre (Waver)
The Gross domestic product (GDP) of the province was 19.3 billion € in 2018, accounting for 4.2% of Belgiums economic output. GDP per capita adjusted for purchasing power was 42,300 € or 140% of the EU27 average in the same year. GDP per person employed was 157% of the EU27 average. Walloon Brabant is the wealthiest province in Wallonia.
The University of Louvain (UCLouvain) is located in Walloon Brabant. The Louvain-la-Neuve Science Park is developing cooperation between industry and UCLouvain and is contributing to regional economic development. It covers 231 hectares spread over the area of the town of Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve and the municipality of Mont-Saint-Guibert (30 km away from Brussels). The main areas of activity are life sciences, fine chemistry, information technologies and engineering. The park is made up of 135 innovative companies, 4,500 employees, and the university's business incubator.
A part of the Walloon industrial power was based in the Sillon industriel with the steel industry of Clabecq, which has operated to the present. The Ronquières inclined plane is on the Brussels-Charleroi Canal which passes through the province, connecting connects Charleroi, one of the main cities of the Sillon industriel, with the Capital of Belgium and the Port of Antwerp. Piétrain is a breed of domestic pig taking its name from Piétrain, a little village of Jodoigne in Walloon Brabant. The most important town of this province is Nivelles, which has the Collegiate Church of Saint Gertrude and its westwork.
In Rixensart, the company Recherche et Industrie Thérapeutiques (changed to GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals in 2000) is one of the world's leading vaccine manufacturers, supplying around 25% of the world's vaccines:
The castle of Corroy-le-Château, one of the best conserved castles of this period in Northern Europe was bought by 21st-century Flemish artist Wim Delvoye for EUR 3.3 million. He is planning to convert the Corroy-le-Château into a museum of modern art.
Twin towns and sister cities
Walloon Brabant is twinned with:
- ^ https://bestat.statbel.fgov.be/bestat/crosstable.xhtml?view=90c1e218-dc4f-4827-824d-9b25abfefe59
- ^ https://statbel.fgov.be/nl/themas/bevolking/structuur-van-de-bevolking
- ^ "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab" . hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- ^ Louis de Haynin, Histoire générale des guerres de Savoie, de Bohême, du Palatinat et des Pays-Bas 1616-1627 par le seigneur Du Cornet, Gentilhomme belgeois, avec une introduction et des notes par A.L.P. de Robaulx de Soumoy, Bruxelles, 1868, First published in 1628, pp. 6-7. French: La Belge selon qu'elle est, pour le présent, est un grand pays entre la France, l'Allemagne, et la mer Océane […] Elle se my-partit ordinairement en deux régions presque esgalles, c'est à scavoir en belge wallonne et belge allemande ou flamande, selon aucuns. La Wallonne a pour provinces l'Artois, Lille Douay et Orchies autrement dite Flandre gauloise ou walonne: Cambresis, Tournesis, Haynaut et l'Estat de Valencennes, Namur, Lothier ou Brabant wallon, Luxembourgues et Prince-Bishopric of Liège.
- ^ "Regional GDP per capita ranged from 30% to 263% of the EU average in 2018" . Eurostat.
- ^ Dynamisme wallon, review of the Union Wallonne des Entreprises, Décembre 2007
- ^ "Belgian artist buys castle for EUR 3.3m" , Expatica.com 2008-09-24
- ^ 友好城市 (Friendly cities) Archived 2014-07-19 at the Wayback Machine, 市外办 (Foreign Affairs Office), 2008-03-22. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- ^ 国际友好城市一览表 (International Friendship Cities List) Archived 2013-11-13 at the Wayback Machine, 2011-01-20. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- ^ 友好交流 (Friendly exchanges) Archived 2014-11-12 at the Wayback Machine, 2011-09-13. (Translation by Google Translate.)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walloon Brabant.|
Information as of: 11.08.2021 02:30:06 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.