Part of Dhuys-et-Morin-en-Brie
© jpduburcq, CC BY-SA 3.0
|13.12 km2 (5.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||13/km2 (32/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||140–211 m (459–692 ft) |
(avg. 165 m or 541 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Artongeois or Artongeoises
Artonge is a commune in the south of the department of Aisne in the old Brie Champagne region, located on a high plateau not far from the sources of the Dhuys and the edge of the forest of "Rouges Fossés" (Red Ditches).
It is located some 20 km south-east of Château-Thierry and 35 km south-west of Épernay. It can be accessed by the D20 road from Pargny-la-Dhuys in the north coming south through the village and continuing south-west to Marchais-en-Brie. The D201 branches south off the D20 changing to the D40 at the border of the commune and continuing south to Montmirail. There is also the D866 coming from Nesles-la-Montagne in the north-west terminating in the village. There is also a railway line coming from the north with Artongeole Station just north of the village. The railway continues south-west through Montmirail. The commune is mixed farmland and forest.
The Ru des Rieux flows through the village from its source to the west and flows south-west into the Ravine de la Dhuys.
Neighbouring communes and villages
The name Hertungiae was mentioned in 1137.
This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items . (April 2021)
List of Mayors of Artonges
In 2012, the commune had 196 inhabitants.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE|
Sites and Monuments
- The Choir and the Transept of the Church of Saint Peter (15th century) are registered as an historical monument. The earliest parts date back to the 15th century but it has been rebuilt over the centuries. This church has no proper tower but rather a bell housed in a Dormer of the north side of the roof over the nave. The church has been the subject of a complete restoration and was returned to the Church during a Mass celebrated by Friar Gandon, the parish priest of Our Lady of the Three Valleys on which it depends, and Bishop Giraud, Bishop of Soissons in 2009. The Churtch contains a Stained glass window: Christ on the Cross (16th century) which is registered as an historical object.
- The Fountain is powered by a reliable source of water which was once thought to cure sore throats and fevers.
- The Lavoir (Public laundry) is decorated on the theme of a fable by Jean de La Fontaine: "The fox, the flies, and the hedgehog".
- The Chateau is a former lordship which was vassal to Montmirail and is privately owned.
- Artonges on the old National Geographic Institute website (in French)
- Artonges on the Canton of Condé-en-Brie official website (in French)
- Bell Towers website (in French)
- Artonges on Lion1906
- Artonges on Géoportail , National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Artonges on the 1750 Cassini Map
- ^ Téléchargement du fichier d'ensemble des populations légales en 2017 , INSEE
- ^ Arrêté préfectoral 10 September 2015 (in French)
- ^ Inhabitants of Aisne (in French)
- ^ a b c Google Maps
- ^ List of Mayors of France (in French)
- ^ Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Artonges , EHESS. (in French)
- ^ Populations légales 2012 , INSEE
- ^ Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00115508 Church of Saint Peter (in French)
- ^ Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM02000042 Stained glass window: Christ on the Cross (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Artonges.|
Information as of: 12.08.2021 12:09:54 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.