Herzogenrath (German pronunciation: [hɛʁt͡soːɡn̩ˈʁaːt] (listen); Ripuarian: Herzeroa; Limburgish: Hertseraoj; Dutch: ’s-Hertogenrade) is a municipality in the district of Aachen in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It borders the Dutch town of Kerkrade, the national border in one section running along the middle of a main road and even directly through the centre of the cross-border Eurode office complex.
|• Mayor (2020–25)||Benjamin Fadavian (SPD)|
|• Total||33.401 km2 (12.896 sq mi)|
|Elevation||140 m (460 ft)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Dialling codes||02406 and 02407|
As is the case for many parts of Duchy of Brabant, Herzogenrath changed hands several times in the last few centuries. Together with the rest of the Southern Netherlands, it was under Spanish control from 1661, Austrian between 1713 and 1795 and French between 1795 and 1813. In 1815, when the Kingdom of the Netherlands was formed under the terms of the Vienna Congress, the border was drawn through the town, the eastern part being Prussian Herzogenrath and the western part Dutch Kerkrade. The former abbey is now the Rolduc Congress Center in Kerkrade.
During World War I, the Germans erected a fortification along the border street for the first time; although it was dismantled at the end of the war, it was reconstructed again at the beginning of World War II. Following the end of that war, the border fortifications were reduced at various times, although they were not fully dismantled until the early 1990s preparations for the Schengen Area.
Until the 1950s, Herzogenrath's economy was dominated by coal mines and a nearby coking plant. While some remains of the mining industry still form parts of the landscape in the form of overgrown slag heaps, today's Herzogenrath has moved into other industries. Large-scale employers include Saint-Gobain, Aixtron, Vetrotex (textile glass) and Ericsson Eurolab (electronics). The city hosts a number of electronics start-ups, profiting from the neighbouring Technical University RWTH Aachen.
Twin towns – sister cities
- ^ Wahlergebnisse in NRW Kommunalwahlen 2020 , Land Nordrhein-Westfalen, accessed 19 June 2021.
- ^ "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2020" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 21 June 2021.
- ^ "Kerkrade (NL) - Herzogenrath/Kohlscheid (DE)" . grenzen.150m.com. Archived from the original on 10 October 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- ^ "Neue Anlaufstelle für Grenzpendler in der Euregio" . Aachener Zeitung, September 6, 2016.
- ^ a b c d Jan Buursink and Nicole Ehlers, "The Binational City of Eurode" . University of Nijmegen.
- ^ "World's Most Unique Cities" [permanent dead link]. Toronto Star, June 2, 2016.
- ^ "Städtepartnerschaft, Städtefreundschaft" . herzogenrath.de (in German). Herzogenrath. Retrieved 2021-02-15.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Herzogenrath.|
- Official website (in German)
Information as of: 26.08.2021 01:56:24 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.