Johann Andreas Wagner
|Johann Andreas Wagner|
|Born||21 March 1797 |
|Died||17 December 1861 (aged 64)|
Wagner was a professor at the University of Munich, and curator of the Zoologische Staatssammlung (State Zoology Collection). He was the author of Die Geographische Verbreitung der Säugethiere Dargestellt (1844–46).
In his travels to the fossil beds of Pikermi, Wagner discovered and described fossil remains of mastodon, Dinotherium, Hipparion, two species of giraffe, antelope and others. His collaboration with Johannes Roth on these fossils became a major textbook in palaeontology, known as "Roth & Wagner", in which the "bones were much broken, and no complete skeleton was found with all the parts united".
- (in German) 1844-1846. Die Geographische Verbreitung der Säugethiere Dargestellt.
- (in German) Johann Andreas Wagner 1897. Monographie der gattung Pomatias Studer .
- ^ Rupke, Nicolaas A. (2005). Neither Creation nor Evolution: The Third Way in Mid-Nineteenth-Century Thinking about the Origin of Species. Annals of the History and Philosophy of Biology 10: 160.
- ^ Upper Miocene Formations of Greece at Pikermi Archived 2012-06-03 at the Wayback Machine on Geology.com
- ^ Neue Beiträge zur Kenntniss der fossilen Säugthier-Überreste von Pikermi on Google books, by Wagner, Munich, 1857
- ^ Die fossilen Knochenüberreste von Pikermi in Griechenland on Google books, by Johannes Rudolf Roth and Johann Andreas Wagner, Munich, 1854
- ^ "bones were much broken" in the Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Volume 6, 1857, page 182
- ^ Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Wagner, J.A.", p. 278).
Information as of: 26.08.2021 06:52:57 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.