This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations.(August 2020)
The Madrid Skylitzes is a richly illustrated illuminated manuscript of the Synopsis of Histories (Greek: Σύνοψις Ἱστοριῶν, Byzantine Greek: [ˈsy̜.nop.sis is.to.riˈon]), by John Skylitzes, which covers the reigns of the Byzantine emperors from the death of Nicephorus I in 811 to the deposition of Michael VI in 1057. The manuscript was produced in Sicily in the 12th century, and is now at the Biblioteca Nacional de España in Madrid, with the shelfmark MS Graecus Vitr. 26–2. Other names for it include the Latin: Codex Græcus Matritensis Ioannis Skyllitzes (Medieval Latin: [ˈkɔː.d̪ɛks ˈɡrɛː.kus ma.t̪riˈt̪ɛn.sis jɔˈan.nis sk̟ilˈlit̪.d͡ze̝s]), or Skyllitzes Matritensis ([sk̟ilˈlit̪.d͡ze̝s ma.t̪riˈt̪ɛn.sis]).
Apart from the very fragmentary 6th-century Alexandrian World Chronicle, it is the only surviving illustrated manuscript of a Greek chronicle, and includes 574 miniatures.
It is unclear whether these illustrations are copies of earlier Byzantine images or were newly created specifically for this copy.
- Color facsimile edition by Militos (Μίλητος) Publishers, ISBN 960-8460-16-6.
- Vasiliki Tsamakda, The Illustrated Chronicle of Ioannes Skylitzes, Leiden 2002.
- Bente Bjørnholt and J. Burke, eds. "The Cultures and Contexts of the Madrid Skylitzes" International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, 13 July 2004 (pub. 2005).
- Evans, Helen C. & Wixom, William D., The glory of Byzantium: art and culture of the Middle Byzantine era, A.D. 843–1261 , no. 338, 1997, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, ISBN 9780810965072; full text available online from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Madrid Skylitzes.|
- Biography of Basil II with notes on Scylitzes by Catherine Holmes
- World Digital Library page, and PDF download of the Madrid Skylitzes
Information as of: 17.08.2021 04:36:20 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License of the text: CC-BY-SA-3.0. Creators and licenses of the individual images and media can either be found in the caption or can be displayed by clicking on the image.
Changes: Design elements were rewritten. Wikipedia specific links (like "Redlink", "Edit-Links"), maps, niavgation boxes were removed. Also some templates. Icons have been replaced by other icons or removed. External links have received an additional icon.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore WikiFox.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.